Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Monday, January 26, 2009

Sleep How Much Are You Getting?

I have read some really interesting articles about sleep lately. Like the fact that children need at least 8-10 hours of sleep every night, and adults 8 at the very least. Do you get 8 hours of sleep, do your children get 8-10 hours. One of the reasons I decided to homeschool was because of just this fact. I would have had to get my kids up at 5:30 AM to prepare to be to the bus stop by 7 AM. Then they would not get off the bus until the earliest of 3:30 PM. With baths, homework, playtime, and other family commitments bed would come the earliest at 8 PM, and probably closer to 9. That leaves just enough time for sleep, if your child falls right to sleep, of course most do not. Add all the extra homework that gets added every year, and your child will slowly whittle away at their sleep. Sleep is when your body rests, and recovers. Without proper sleep you are more prone to illness, stress, poor grades, behavioral issues, just to name a few. I personally have seen what the lack of sleep does to people. It can destroy your nervous system. So get on a schedule, and get plenty of sleep.


Lesson Plans for 1/27/09:

Reading: Chapter 10 of Dolphins at Daybreak
Language Arts: Statements and questions, punctuation
Math: Multiplication, division, add 3 or more numbers
Writing: You are at Pirate Camp, write a letter home
Science: Animals, recalling facts about animals
Spelling: Lesson 17- write each spelling word, and circle the consonants
Vocabulary: Lesson 17- use each vocabulary word in a sentence
PE: 30 minutes

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love to sleep melissa, oftentimes, i get 8 hours of sleep or a little bit more, except on very few occasions where I find sleeping hard. I agree with you, sleep is very important to function normally for me, if I have less sleep, I get very bad headache and also get lazy among others. I think that was a great decision you made about homeschooling, counting the number of hours and sleep time.

Melissa said...

I am grumpy if I do not get enough sleep, and so do my children. I aim for 8 a night, and usually get 7. The nights I work are the hardest.

Anonymous said...

I don't get enough sleep, especially that I'm a nocturnal type of person and my work is during day time...

I guess I have to live with that..

Melissa said...

Maybe you need a night job. Ever consider nursing?

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!