Pages

Google Search

Custom Search

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Jellyfish Stings at Saint Augustine Beach

Yesterday, we made our way to Saint Augustine Beach, for the third time this Summer. I love the beach, but I am extremely leary of critters in the water. The surf was not as rough as the last time we were there. So, I was grateful for that. Caitlin and I were able to float on our noodles without difficulty. After about 30 min of being there, I felt a light sting. As I moved away from it, the creature latched onto my lower leg, stinging me severely. Of course I screeched, and of course the lifeguard nor any other swimmers paid me any attention. Out of instinct I reached down to pull the offender off of me, and swat it. It did not sting my hand, but I did get it off me. My son says he thinks I killed it when I grabbed it. He thinks that, because about an hour, or so later, it just grazed his leg, and was basically in the same exact spot. I have no idea, I just know it hurt like crazy. I had thrown vinegar in the beach bag, just because I had a feeling I would need it. Yep, I needed it, and so did DJ. You are supposed to make sure there are no stingers left in your skin. There wasn't. Then rinse area thoroughly with vinegar. I did this three separate times. Then get back in the salt water to cleanse the area. If you have hot water handy, of course I didn't you could soak the wound in that. Believe me when I say, I had enough of the ocean for that day. I went in, but not past just below my knees. I still have the red marks, a little, DJ's are gone. His was mild. I do have nausea and a headache today, but I don't think it is related. I suffer from migraines, and one of my triggers is too much fresh air. Go figure that. How dumb. We will be going back at least one more time, when my father in law comes to visit in about three weeks. Our pool is basically dead now, and actually my heart is not broken. Pools are a lot of work, and expense. My kids enjoy the springs way more than the pool anyways.







No comments:

Currclick for Homeschoolers

CurrClick

Custom Ornamental Gates

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!